Sunday, February 26, 2017

Paraaya Dhan: Metaphor I Hate Most

I still remember when my engagement ceremony was going on, my mother's eyes were filled with tears for a moment realising the fact I won't be part of her daily chores anymore ....hahaaa...just kidding!!! Perhaps she was cherishing the last innings of happiness in which I was only her daughter not anybody else's anything.

When we ( me and my fiance) touched her feet, her hidden tears broke out in burst . My aunt standing nearby consoled her saying, "BETI TO HOTI HI PARAAYA DHAN HAI!!!!"
In terms of lifetime value,a investment in son  is future investment whereas a daughter is deemed a hefty cost to the family.
Again, some of you will proclaim that it is meant to honour the girl. I personally cannot get past the word: paraaya. To those who say that it is immoral for a son to be required to leave his parents, I would like to ask, “Since when does living in the same house qualify you as an effective caregiver to a parent? Does the rest of the world, which does not live with their parents after marriage, stop caring for them? Both my brother and I moved out to study and work in our early twenties. Does that mean that we have stopped caring for our parents.
Even after marriage , me as well as my brother are not there with them all the time.As we both are settled outside our hometown, we could only manage to visit them once or twice in a month. Then what difference does it make for them my brother being a son and me being a daughter to them. 
But just to follow the legacy, our culture has gurped that daughters are so called Paraaya dhan ,who doesn't deserve to be there first ,when their parents need them.
The fact of the matter is that the tide has been turning for half a century. Ideas disseminate. Ideas proliferate and people, men, women and the transgender community, begin to question the status quo. Thousands of young families are already migrating to the urban centres of India, in search of brighter future or financial prosperity. Some have been driven out by necessity. Whether the patriarchs like it or not, the word ‘family’ is no longer synonymous with “joint family” when our social fabric is viewed through the lens of modernity.
Gender now is no more a Finish line to prioritise family member whether he is a son or daughter.In recent times, there’s been a lot of talk about gender equality in India. Bollywood, web series, advertisements, online campaigns, all have sough to break stereotypes and highlight gender-related issues.
But a lot more had to do to change the mindset of society.Nature never partiallise when baby surrounds mother's womb.No mother in this world can ever make a difference between her siblings.
Need is just to Revolutionise our Thoughts , Nothing Else!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment